Share this article View post tag: US Navy Bahrain king visits US Naval Forces Command King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa, the king of the Kingdom of Bahrain, visited the headquarters of the U.S. Naval Forces Central Command (NAVCENT) in Bahrain on June 12.Vice Adm. Kevin M. Donegan, NAVCENT commander, and the U.S. Ambassador to the Kingdom of Bahrain the William V. Roebuck greeted the king.During the visit, Navy officials briefed the king on current operations of the U.S. 5th Fleet and coalition operations to defeat ISIS.Following the briefing, the king had dinner with the ambassador and Donegan, where they continued discussing issues of mutual interest.The king was accompanied on this trip by two of his sons, Brig. Gen. Shaikh Nasser bin Hamad Al Khalifa, commander of the Royal Guard, and Maj. Shaikh Khaled bin Hamad Al Khalifa, commander of the Royal Guard Special Force, as well as Commander-in-Chief of the Bahrain Defense Force Field Marshal Shaikh Khalifa bin Ahmed Al Khalifa and Commander of the Bahraini Royal Navy Rear Adm. Shaikh Khalifa bin Abdullah Al Khalifa.His majesty said the connection between the Kingdom of Bahrain and the United States was critical to regional maritime security and the free flow of commerce.“The world’s trade flows, its commerce, and ultimately its security depend on what happens in this critical region,” the king said. “This region in turn depends on the vital strategic partnership between the Kingdom of Bahrain and the United States of America.”The U.S. 5th Fleet area of operations encompasses about 2.5 million square miles of water area and includes the Arabian Gulf, Gulf of Oman, Red Sea, and parts of the Indian Ocean. The expanse is comprised of 20 countries and includes three critical choke points at the Strait of Hormuz, the Suez Canal and the Strait of Bab al Mandeb at the southern tip of Yemen. Back to overview,Home naval-today Bahrain king visits US Naval Forces Command View post tag: Bahrain June 14, 2017 Authorities
John Kemenosh of Ocean City, NJA Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated 11 a.m. Friday, Nov. 6, St. Frances Cabrini Roman Catholic Church (Second Street and Atlantic Avenue) in Ocean City.Friends may call from 9 a.m. until the time of the Mass. The burial is private.Memorial contributions are suggested to the Humane Society of Ocean City, One Shelter Road, Ocean City, NJ 08226.Read full obituaryRead tributes to Kemenosh
High streets have been hit hardest by March’s cold weather as footfall declined 7% in comparison to last year’s figure, it has been revealed. The British Retail Consortium (BRC) and Springboard’s Footfall Monitor highlighted a 5.2% drop in overall retail footfall last month, compared to March 2012, while out-of-town locations and shopping centres also saw a decline in figures of 4.2% and 2.4% respectively.Helen Dickinson, director general of the BRC, said: “The prolonged cold was the main culprit for deterring shoppers, especially compared against the far milder March of 2012. Although footfall did pick up around the Easter weekend, it couldn’t fully compensate for a weak showing across the month as a whole.“High streets were hit the hardest by the cold snap, as many of us favoured shopping under shelter rather than braving the elements. In February, high streets had been the stand-out performer, but March saw footfall growth slumping back to subzero territory – high streets’ worst result since July 2012.”Diane Wehrle, retail insights director at Springboard, said: “Despite high streets seeing a strong performance in February, predictably the bad weather, plus the Budget and media attention given to the reform to the benefit system have hit consumer confidence.“High street footfall dropped, with just one in five towns recording positive results. Moreover, the average increase among towns in which footfall did increase was just 6.9% compared with an average decline of 11.4% amongst those high streets whose footfall fell from March last year.”She added that the final week of the month yielded some positive results, as retail park footfall rose 7.9% against the previous week, attributing it to shoppers taking advantage of the long Easter Bank Holiday to visit DIY out-of-town outlets.
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Greentech Media:The utility’s latest integrated resource plan calls for 1,800 megawatts of solar and 920 megawatts of storage in its first five years.The Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA) filed the latest edition of its 2019-2038 integrated resource plan late Friday. The report, prepared by Siemens, is a rework of a plan submitted in February, which Puerto Rico’s energy bureau deemed noncompliant with regulations.Though the most recent integrated resource plan (IRP) bears similarities to the previous version, the latest edition calls for higher deployment of solar and storage — which already rivaled some of the most ambitious plans for the mainland — and more flexibility associated with the natural-gas infrastructure it recommends.In the plan’s first five years, the proposed IRP states that the island should add 1,800 megawatts of solar PV and 920 megawatts of energy storage, with combined request for proposals for these technologies. Those build-outs are more ambitious than what PREPA sought in its previous plan, which called for up to 1,200 megawatts of solar and up to 900 megawatts of energy storage.Unlike a traditional IRP, PREPA has also agreed to consider several metrics such as resilience and a central role for renewables. Since PREPA’S first plan was rejected, Puerto Rico also passed a renewable portfolio standard (RPS) of 100 percent renewables by 2050, with interim targets in 2025 and 2040.In its rejection of the February plan, the island’s energy bureau, which regulates PREPA, laid out a litany of criticisms on the document’s modeling, its consideration of costs and the lack of reasoning behind the selection for eight “minigrids.” Though PREPA’s latest preferred plan comes in at a lower price tag, $14.4 billion rather than $15.2 billion, it’s unclear whether it meets the changes the bureau requested.More: Puerto Rico’s latest IRP increases solar and storage targets New PREPA resource plan targets solar and battery storage
After 46 days and roughly eight hours, legendary ultramarathoner Scott Jurek has achieved his goal of setting the Appalachian Trail speed record—previously held by BRO contributor Jennifer Pharr Davis.Scott reached the summit of Khatadin shortly after 2 P.M. today, just a few hours ahead of his 5:15 P.M. cut-off time.Jurek began his quest to take down the supported AT speed record back on May 27 at the trail’s southern terminus atop Springer Mountain, Georgia.Early in his journey he sustained injuries to his knee and then his quad that many thought might derail his historic run at the record.Blue Ridge Outdoors Magazine Editor in Chief, Will Harlan joined Jurek for a few days in the Smoky Mountains of North Carolina.“It’s hard to stay healthy for 50 days of mega-mileage, especially on rocky, muddy, messy trail. Blisters and foot rot are common. Rugged terrain with few switchbacks inevitably leads to muscle and ligament tears. Jurek has been dealing with all of these things over the past six weeks,” Harlan told Elevation Outdoors Editor Doug Schitzspahn in an article for National Geographic. “I don’t know how he has hobbled 2,000 miles on a torn quad. It shows how mentally tough he is. He is the king of pain.”Photo by Luis Escobar Harlan’s sentiments about Jurek’s unusually high pain threshold have been echoed by many and were a central tenet in Chris Mcdougall’s bestselling book Born to Run, which profiled several key figures in the ultrarunning world.His story was cemented in the pantheon of long distance running elites long before this latest record-setting performance. From 1998 to 2005, Jurek won the Western States 100-mile Endurance Run, making him the longest running consecutive winner in the storied event’s history. The same year he won his last Western States, Jurek toppled the speed record of the infamous Badwater 135—a grueling 135 mile foot race through California’s Death Valley—after collapsing from heat exhaustion near the halfway point.Stay tuned to BlueRidgeOutdoors.com for upcoming stories about Scott Jurek’s monumental achievement on the Appalachian Trail.
With the way technology moves and changes, websites could stand to be updated on a weekly basis. Here at BRO we like to slow-age things, so it has actually been several years since our website got a face lift. All that changes today though, as we are proud to introduce you to the new BlueRidgeOutdoors.com.The time had come to give the site a new look, and we’re doing so with one eye toward the future, and another looking back at the site analytics that helped influence the direction we’re taking. The biggest thing we noticed when scouring over the behavior of one million unique visitors this year, is that a lot of you are using your phones and mobile devices. We’re not surprised at all, and accordingly, BlueRidgeOutdoors.com is now a fully responsive website. This means the user experience on the mobile device is identical to the desktop version. We’ve also streamlined the layout to help users find the regular content they use the most, and highlight some of the photography that will now be a main feature of the website.If you haven’t taken stock lately of what all the the Blue Ridge Outdoors digital empire encompasses, check out the bulleted list below to see what you’ve been missing:“48 Hours In…” – twice a month we provide a curated itinerary for some of the best weekend getaway destinations in the Blue Ridge. With tips on where to play, what to eat, and places to stay, the only thing you’ll need to do is pack the car and drive. Check out 48 Hours in Knoxville.Trail Mix – This long running feature is a BlueRidgeOutdoors.com staple. Each month our resident music man Dave Stallard hand-picks up to 30 tracks to feature for streaming and downloading. Dave picks the best new releases and top trending tunes, a majority of which have ties to, or are based here in the Blue Ridge. Check out the November Playlist.Long Form Digital Features – The web allows us to tell stories in ways that could never be done before. With a mix of media that includes video, interactive photography, and digital mapping, we’re committing to bring readers four in-depth features in 2016. We launched our first long read feature this Fall which covers the interesting history and culture surrounding the most iconic trail in the Blue Ridge: The Appalachian Trail. Check out Behind The White Blaze: Appalachian Trail Guide.Trail Post E-Newsletter – This weekly e-newsletter arrives in 30,000 inboxes each Thursday, bringing the most recent news about the Blue Ridge and providing seasonal resources to help readers go outside and play. Sign up for Trail Post.Weekend Picks – Being that the Blue Ridge is our backyard, there’s no shortage of events or outings on any given weekend. Each Tuesday, subscribers can expect to receive an email with an event or adventure that is BRO-approved and better yet, relatively close to home. We break the newsletter list up into a Northern or Southern edition so hopefully nothing is ever more than a few hours drive. Sign up for Weekend Pick’s: North (VA, MD, DC, PA, WV, KY) or South (NC, TN, SC, GA, AL)-The number of social media platforms seem to expand by the week. While we’re constantly checking out the latest and (occasionally) greatest new social networks, you can be sure find us here on these three main platforms: Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook
Thousands of visitors tour the ship at each port, including 2,434 in Baltimore, Md., where the vessel docked for two days last month. In addition to seeing the ensigns’ routine, the public can take a look at eight 1.80m x 1.80m (6’ x 6’) panels with photographs and information about the 12 cities that will host the 2014 World Cup in Brazil. The visitors can also watch videos about the country and highlights of Brazil’s national soccer team dating to the 1950 World Cup. “I was even a bit surprised by the level of awareness that the visitors have about Brazil, even though they know the most about our soccer,” says 1st Lt. Elizabeth Ferreira Pinto, 32. One of only two women among the 450 sailors aboard the training ship Brasil, it is unlikely that Ferreira Pinto will participate in a similar voyage in the future, since women in the Brazilian Navy generally serve administrative roles, all based on land. “It’s a question of getting used to the routine, but I still get seasick when the ship starts rocking a lot,” she says. BALTIMORE, U.S.A. – The training ship Brasil is celebrating its Silver Jubilee year with the exhibit “World Cup 2014: Time for Brazil” with tourist information for the cities hosting the World Cup in 2014. By December, when the 25th Instructional Voyage ends, the vessel will have spent five months visiting 20 ports in Brazil and 17 other counties. The tour is part of the final training cycle for new members of the Brazilian Navy. During the journey, the future officers are able to finally put into practice everything they learned at the Naval Academy. “Besides learning navigation, damage control, logistics, loading procedures and astrological navigation, they have an opportunity to learn about protocols and familiarize themselves with other navies and other cultures,” says Capt. Luiz Octávio Barros Coutinho, who assumed command of the vessel in January. By Dialogo November 11, 2011 Before returning to Rio de Janeiro, where it is expected to arrive on Dec. 18, the vessel is scheduled to make stops in Guayaquil (Ecuador), Callao (Peru), Valparaíso (Chile), Montevideo (Uruguay) and Buenos Aires (Argentina). Salvador (Brazil) Tenerife (Spain) Amsterdam (Netherlands) St. Petersburg (Russia) Hamburg (Germany) Le Havre (France) London (England) Lisbon (Portugal) Piraeus (Greece) Civitavecchia (Italy) Valencia (Spain) Baltimore (USA) Fort Lauderdale (USA) Nassau (Bahamas) Cartagena (Colombia) Life on the ship presents daily challenges and requires rigorous discipline. Still, the crew and ensigns insist the ship has become their second home and they will miss the experience when it is over. “This training voyage has been a unique experience,” says trainee João Celso Silva de Deus, 23. “There’s nothing like the thrill of sailing around the world and learning how to serve my country, both on board, through combat simulations and astrological navigation training, and at port, demonstrating the culture and joy of the Brazilian people.” Since leaving the Almirante Castro e Silva Base, in Rio de Janeiro, the training ship has docked in 15 cities: The crew, which is currently en route to Guayaquil, Ecuador, includes 195 ensigns, 133 of whom come from the Naval Corps, 30 from the Marine Corps and 32 from the Administrative Corps. The newcomers are taught by the about 200 veterans soldiers who also are on board. For the first time, the newcomers were able to experience how the routine felt aboard an unstable platform and they learned how to overcome difficulties they never had to endure during their four years of training at the Naval Academy. Another challenge for the ensigns is spending five months away from their families. “My son is preparing for his college entrance exams and I can’t give him the advice he needs right now,” says Lt. Commander Elisabeth Ambrosio, 42, who keeps in touch with friends and relatives by email from the ship’s computer room. “But representing the Brazilian Navy to the world is a source of pride for me and my family, which makes this experience far away from my husband and son worthwhile.”
Nov 24, 2004 (CIDRAP News) The US Department of Agriculture (USDA) ended 6 days of suspense for the beef industry by announcing late yesterday that a cow suspected of having bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) didn’t have the disease after all. Nov 23 USDA statement Lyons noted that the USDA has said that more BSE cases may be found, but added, “Beef is safe from BSE because anything that could potentially carry BSE is prohibited from entering the food supply.” USDA BSE information and resources The USDA and Food and Drug Administration have banned the use of high-risk cattle parts such as the brain and spinal cord, called specified risk materials (SRMs), in human food. But Foreman said the ban still permits the use of some potentially hazardous material, such as the sheath (dura) that covers the spinal cord, and slaughter plants can use the same blades for removing SRMs and for processing meat without sterilizing them in between. She also charged that the rules are not well enforced. “The USDA National Veterinary Services Laboratories (NVSL) in Ames, Iowa, has determined that the inconclusive screening test sample reported on Nov 18 has tested negative for BSE upon confirmatory testing,” said John Clifford, deputy administrator of the Animal and Plant Health Inspection Service (APHIS). The National Cattlemen’s Beef Association (NCBA) said the latest case shows that measures to protect the public from exposure to BSE are working. “This animal never entered the human food supply, nor did it enter the animal feed chain, proving the systems in place are working to protect public and animal health,” said NCBA Vice President Jan Lyons, a Manhattan, Kan., cattle producer, in a prepared statement. Clifford said that to be safe, the USDA ran two immunohistochemistry (IHC) tests, known as the “gold standard” test for BSE, on the cow. The first negative result came Nov 22. “Because the Nov 18 screening test results were reactive in both the first and second screens, NVSL scientists made the recommendation to run the IHC test a second time,” he said. “On Nov 23 they reported the second IHC test was negative. Negative results from both IHC tests make us confident that the animal in question is indeed negative for BSE.” Carol Tucker Foreman of the Consumer Federation of America, a leading critic of government food safety policies, said yesterday’s announcement is “good news and a relief for everyone,” but added that the system for protecting the public from BSE still has a number of gaps. The USDA did not reveal where the cow came from or any other details about it. The agency said earlier that the carcass was kept out of the food and animal feed production chains. Two screening tests on the cow had been inconclusive, prompting the USDA to announce the findings Nov 18 and send samples to the NVSL for confirmatory tests. This was the third cow for which screening tests were inconclusive since the USDA expanded its BSE surveillance program June 1. See also: The agency expanded its BSE surveillance this year in response to the discovery of the nation’s first BSE case in a cow in Washington state last December. Beef prices dropped in late June when the USDA announced the first two suspected BSE cases on the basis of single screening tests, but further tests ruled out both cases a few days later. In August the agency announced that henceforward it would announce a suspected case only after two inconclusive tests on the same animal. When the suspected case was announced last week, beef prices weathered the storm better than they did the last time, according to an Associated Press report. Beef futures prices on the Chicago Mercantile Exchange dropped from 87.3 cents to 84.2 cents a pound, but they recovered to 87.25 cents as of yesterday, the report said.