Kanvee Adams presenting an assortment of medical supplies to Benjamin Vulue of Family Health Center, one of the benefiting health centersLiberia’s most decorated gospel artist, Kanvee Gains Adams, recently donated an assortment of medical supplies estimated at US$25,000 to four clinics in Montserrado District #6 to alleviate some of the constraints they face on a daily basis while discharging their duties of taking care of patients.Presenting the medical supplies, which included syringes, hand gloves, sterilizers during a brief ceremony held at her political office in Paynesville, Mrs. Adams said Liberia’s poor health system is responsible for the death of one of her children.“I am one of the persons who have seriously been affected by the poor health system of this country, mainly to the point wherein I lost my only son out of my four children and feel that with God on my side I would love to always contribute to its improvement in order to allow sons and daughters of my fellow residents of this district to survive curable diseases,” she said.The gospel artist turned politician said even though guns are silent around the country, there are still many great wars ongoing, including the battle against Liberia’s poor health system, which she said is claiming the lives of many of the country’s citizens on a daily basis.“Our health system is at stake and this threat needs the attention of well-meaning people, a group of which we think we are a part of,” she noted.She said her donation is not about politics but a passion to help the struggling clinics in district #6 to serve the people better.“I came across a case where someone was taken to a clinic for treatment but was rejected because that clinic did not have the facility that would have saved the life of that patient,” Adams recalled.Explaining how she procured the supplies from the U. S. to Liberia, Mrs. Adams said ‘HERO,’ a nongovernmental institution based in Fargo, North Dakota has agreed to partner with her to alleviate some of the difficult circumstances health centers go through while catering to patients.“HERO gave us these supplies free of charge after we made our case clear that our people are dying simply because of lack of materials at health centers to cater to patients and they have assured us of their unflinching support in rebuilding the health sector of this district and, to some extent, the country at large,” she said.She said her aspiration to represent the people of the district in the House of Representatives is to ensure that there is a vibrant healthcare system among other things in the district and beyond, through proper oversight.Adams said the remaining items which include hospital beds, wheel chairs, examination beds and laboratory equipment, will soon arrive in the country to be distributed among clinics in the district free of charge.Receiving the items, a physician assistant at the Family Health Center Clinic, Mr. Benjamin Vulue, commended Adams and termed her gesture as a timely offer to the health sector of the district.“This is the first time in this district we in the health sector have received medical supplies from anyone, and for this gesture we are grateful,” Mr. Vulue said.He said the items will be used for the intended purposes and without bias.Medical Diagnostic Clinic, Family Health Center, Liberty Clinic, and Sunrise Medical Clinic benefited from Adams’ donations.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)
AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MORERose Parade grand marshal Rita Moreno talks New Year’s Day outfit and ‘West Side Story’ remake Firefighter Steve Toledo said that flames were as high as 80 feet when engines arrived ”The people were burned pretty bad,” he added. Neighbors took the injured family members in as they awaited paramedics, comforting them, and praying together. ”We said a prayer _ they’re a very Christian family,” said Deborah Mann, who lives across the street from the Ewarts, and who cared for Ewart’s parents. ”When we saw David we told him we prayed for his family, that everyone would be OK.” David Ewart was burned over 50 percent of his body, his shoulders, chest and back were blackened; son Michael was burned over 90 percent of his body and Hugh Ewart, reluctant to jump onto the play equipment, fell from the balcony and broke his nose. David and Michael were transferred taken to the Grossman Memorial Burn Center in Sherman Oaks at midday. Ewart’s mother, who neighbors affectionately call `Grandma,’ stayed by her husband as paramedics treated him. She Jonathan and Heather were transported to Henry Mayo Newhall Memorial Hospital, where the children were treated and released a short time later. Esther Ewart is expected to be released Wednesday. VALENCIA — Six family members were injured — three of them critically — in a pre-dawn house fire today in Valencia, the scene of a huge holiday party the night before. Neighbors said they awoke to screams from the Via Escobar home, and raced to help David Ewart, his elderly parents who were visiting and his three children. ”I heard screaming,” next door neighbhor Kim Altobello said. ”I was already awake getting ready for work and I just heard Heather screaming and screaming. I said, `Call 911!’ I didn’t know what was happening.” Ewart, 50; his children Michael, 15, Jonathan, 13, and Heather, 11; and his parents Hugh and Esther Ewart escaped through a second-story window and onto a balcony, using a treehouse ladder to get to the ground. ”Her hair was singed but she seemed OK,” Mann said. ”She held his hand, kept him covered with a blanket.” Ewart, an accomplished violinist who played with the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra, holds a large Christmas party every year. The family home was decked to the hilt for the holidays, yet Monday morning icicle lights hung sooty and dripping from the eaves, decorations sat among the family’s charred belongings. Mann said the party was legendary in the Valencia neighbhoorhood and that Ewart had pony rides for the children and a small petting zoo in his yard. As residents helped the Ewarts and evacuated others from homes in case the fire spread, next door neighbor Jon Delling, 20, used a garden hose to spray at flames shooting in the air. ”I heard screaming, I thought it was a dream,” Delling said. ”Then I woke up and it was real. We ran outside. People were running in the back yard making sure everyone was out of the house.”160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!