June 4, 2021 Find out more (Photo: AFP) AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia Follow the news on Azerbaijan News April 5, 2011 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Journalists among victims of regime’s violent response to pro-democracy protests RSF_en News June 8, 2021 Find out more Help by sharing this information to go further “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan News Receive email alerts News Organisation AzerbaijanEurope – Central Asia As pro-democracy protests gain pace in Azerbaijan, the regime is cracking down harder on journalists in a desperate attempt to assert its control over news and information. The authorities at first concentrated on imposing a news blackout by preventing journalists from covering demonstrations and criminalizing Facebook users. But in a new escalation, opposition journalists are now being kidnapped and beaten.In the latest case, three men in civilian dress intercepted Ramin Deco, a reporter for the opposition newspaper Azadlig, on Sunday morning in Rasulzade, the village where he lives, located 20 km outside Baku, and forced him to get into their car. They then drove him to Mashtaga, another village 25 km outside Baku, and subjected him to intense psychological pressure for eight hours.Deco was repeatedly asked why he was so active on online social networks and why he wrote articles criticising President Ilham Aliyev. He was told that if he did not abandon these activities, he would suffer “serious consequences.” Before releasing him in Baku at about 4 p.m., his abductors warned him to say nothing about what had just happened.The reporter nonetheless talked about his abduction immediately to the media. Yesterday evening, two of Deco’s assailants were waiting for him as he left his office and gave him a severe beating “as a reprisal.”Coming eight days after the abduction and beating of fellow Azadlig reporter Seymour Khaziyev, yesterday’s episode confirms that journalists are leading victims of the government’s violent response to the mounting street protests.Around 30 journalists working for various media were intercepted by riot police near Fountains Square in Baku on 2 April and were prevented from entering the square in order to photograph, film or interview those taking part in a demonstration there, which had been banned.Around 10 of the reporters, including Mehman Kerimli, Elchin Hasanov, Shahvalad Choban Oglu, Zamin Haji, Sakit Zahidov and Zafar Guliyev, were manhandled and briefly detained. Several of them were beaten.The attorney-general’s office is meanwhile investigating Elnur Majidli – a journalist and activist who was one of the founders of the Facebook page convening the demonstration – on suspicion of “inciting national, ethnic or religious hatred” under article 283.1 of the criminal code. After receiving threats in Azerbaijan, Majidli has been living in France for the past few months. In his absence, the Serious Crimes Investigation Department summoned his father to notify him of the investigation.Dubbing 2 April as a “Day of Rage,” opposition groups had appealed for demonstrations in Baku to press for democratic change. Calls for protests in Azerbaijan began being made on the Internet a month ago. Azerbaijan is so far the former Soviet republic to be most affected by pro-democracy activism inspired by the unrest that has swept the Arab world. Ilham Aliyev took over as president in 2003 from his father, Heydar Aliyev, who had ruled since 1969. Russian peacekeepers deny foreign reporters access to Nagorno-Karabakh April 9, 2021 Find out more
Through 15 NBA seasons, Howard has averaged 17.4 points with 12.6 rebounds and two blocks per game. He’s been named Defensive Player of the Year three times, but the veteran center said he’s not relying on his past accomplishments to determine his future. “None of those accomplishments, they mean nothing right now,” Howard said last week. “My job is to help this team win. All the stuff that happened in the past doesn’t matter at this present time. I just want to stay in the moment, stay focused on what I need to do for this team, to help this team be successful.” Damian Lillard fires back at Shaq with new diss track: ‘Kobe won you them rings though’ NBA 2019-20: 5 under-the-radar rookies you should keep an eye on “Dwight Howard has been all business since he came in this time around,” Vogel told reporters (via ESPN). “We’re asking our whole group to have a seriousness about ourselves. He’s been an all-business type of guy. It’s really helped us to be focused and working on the task at hand.”Frank Vogel: ‘Who’s gonna help us win is the first criteria for playing’ pic.twitter.com/j92pFr0BWW— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) October 1, 2019Howard played just nine games last season because of injury and he’s played with four different teams (Wizards, Hawks, Hornets, and Rockets) over the last four seasons before joining Los Angeles. Related News Anthony Davis praised Howard for his mentality and said he’s excited to play alongside the veteran.”Dwight has it on his mind that he wants to help this team win,” Davis said. “And whatever that entails, he’s going to do it. He wants to have his second run in L.A. be a great one, and he’s come in, he goes in the weight room, he gets his treatment and then comes on the court and gets his work in and practices. So he’s been about business from day one, and that’s all I can ask for for a guy to come in, get his work in and be ready to go.”AD praises Rondo & Bradley’s start to camp. pic.twitter.com/p4ZpQYoGYg— Los Angeles Lakers (@Lakers) October 1, 2019The Lakers are coming off a 37-45 season, missing the playoffs for the sixth straight season. Dwight Howard hasn’t been a Laker for long, but he’s already impressing his coach and teammates. The eight-time All-Star signed with Los Angeles in free agency and wants to do everything he can to help the Lakers improve this season. First-year coach Frank Vogel said Tuesday that his “centers have really impressed” him, giving credit to Howard for his leadership. Spurs’ Gregg Popovich unhappy with Marcus Morris’ unprofessional behavior in free agency
By Jarryl BryanThe Government has taken a decisive step in the process towards building the new Demerara River bridge, with an order being issued that empowers officials to survey and acquire private land, regardless of whether the owners want to sell.The order, dubbed the Acquisition of Lands for Public Purposes (New Demerara River Crossing and Connecting Roads) Order 2017, is dated August 23; long before the Ministry held consultations with those to be affected on October 10. It was signed by Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson.An advertisement appeared over the weekend in the State-owned Guyana Chronicle indicating that Public Infrastructure Minister David Patterson has issued the order to commence the acquisition of lands.According to the particulars of the Order, the land which will be targeted includes portions of Houston and Rome, East Bank Demerara. It sets out that a strip of land along and within the South half of Plantation Houston will be acquired, while strips of land in the North of Rome and in a westerly direction by the river would be in the cross hairs of Government.The Ministry will also be acquiring land on the West Bank of Demerara; specifically, it will be acquiring land within the southern half of Versailles; by the river itself; by the northern cadastral boundary of Goed Fortuin and private lands.In addition, a strip of land connecting New Road, Vreed-en-Hoop to the new La Parfaite Harmonie access road, will be appropriated by the Government. This road passes through Schoonord, Murdocks Land, Malgre Tout, Klien Pouderoyen and Vreed-en-Hoop.According to Patterson in the order, “the Commissioner of Lands and Surveys, together with his agents, servants or work men, is hereby authorised to enter upon the said lands decided hereunder for the purposes of surveying or otherwise examining such lands with a view of acquiring the whole or part of such lands for the construction of a public work.”Patterson in the advertisement also notes that the Order was made under Chapter 62:05 of the Acquisition of Lands for Public Purposes Act. According to Section 5 (1) of the Act, “When any order aforesaid has been made the person authorised shall have the power to do all or any of the following acts.”“(a) to enter upon and survey and take levels of any land in any locality within which the public works are intended to be executed or to dig or bore into the sub-soil of that land (and) to do all other acts necessary to ascertain whether the land is adapted to that purpose.”Floating at 1.25 miles, the Demerara Harbour Bridge is a strategic link between the eastern and western banks of the Demerara River. It facilitates the daily movement of a large numbers of vehicles, people and cargo.The structure was built in the 1970s, but was opened in July 1978 with the expectation of lasting only 10 years. However, some 37 years later, it is still floating. Under the previous Government, concerted efforts began at replacing the structure. The current Government signed a contract with a Dutch company, LievenseCSO, on December 9, 2016, to conduct a feasibility analysis. This feasibility study determined the proposed location of Houston-Versailles as the most ideal. In the feasibility study, some four houses and a nursery school were cited for demolition.Residents in the vicinity of the site for the new Demerara River bridge at Houston had indicated to this publication that they were in the dark over the Public Infrastructure Ministry’s plans regarding the removal of several homes to facilitate construction of the crossing. Following an article by this newspaper, officials from the Ministry visited the residents and assured them that the Attorney General’s Chambers will be negotiating with them a compensation package among other things.Eminent domainDiplomat and long-time People’s National Congress Reform (PNCR) official, Clarissa Riehl, had fiercely resisted Government’s move to take control of a plot of land she owns at Middle and Carmichael Streets, under the Acquisition of Lands for Public Purposes Act.The Official Gazette of September 24, which published the Order made by Minister Patterson on September 22, 2016, identified the property as the East quarter of Lot 92 Middle and Carmichael Streets.
It’s one thing to have resolutions for the new year. I, for example, plan to lose weight, learn Python and design the perfect handbag. But since nothing satisfies like the quick achievement of a short-term goal, here are eight things every good nerd needs to to before the ball drops later this week.These tasks comprise a quick to-do list that will leave you feeling competent and prepared for the decade that approaches. Also, you can play the condescension chip and start chiding friends who haven’t checked off these items yet.1. Edit your privacy settings and friendships.Facebook’s maelstrom-causing privacy changes have given quite a few of us a head-scratching good time trying to figure out just how much of our private lives are to be made public. Before the new year begins, take a look at your settings on sites such as Facebook, Flickr, YouTube, LiveJournal and any other places you might be sharing personal content to make sure what you display is consistent with the public image you want to project. As more recruiters and employers hit the Web in search of info on individuals, it’s becoming ever more important to monitor and control our own identities. If you look back to the origin dates of some of your accounts, you might be surprised at what you thought was appropriate to share online in 2005.Also, while considering what’s private and public, take time to evaluate what a “friend,” “contact” or “follower” means to you and what types of information you share with different groups.2. Change your passwords.Safety first, friends. Social web security threats in 2009 were sweeping and surprised more than a few users with spam DMs, hacked accounts and malware of all kinds. Check out the password management tools recommended by a recently high-profile hacker (scroll to the last few paragraphs); for free or cheap, they’ll help you generate strong, random passwords and manage them from your computer.3. Own your name.I’ve conducted many a web search on many a professional geek this year, and I’ve been disappointed by how few of us have staked a meaningful claim to our online identities. If you haven’t already, buy a URL – preferably one that relates to the name you use professionally – and make friends with Google. If you don’t show up in the first results when you search for your name, get a crash course in SEO and ask friends to link to you. It’s good for your social life and your career if you seize the opportunity to tell the searching world about yourself rather than relegating that responsibility to LinkedIn, Facebook or some weirdo with the same name as you.4. Prune your feeds.When going through your RSS feeds, do you find yourself impatiently scrolling more than you’re intently skimming? Is your list of unread items becoming unmanagable? The end of the year is a perfect time to get rid of the content you’re not reading and group the stuff you are. Take some time this week to organize, delete and add feeds, thereby optimizing your feed-reading experience. Try tools such as NetNewsWire’s “dinosaurs” and “least attention” features that weed out unread or dormant feeds, and consider implementing tools such as Lazyfeed or Guzzle.it that can bring relevant results from fresh sources. And make sure the feeds you own are easy for others to find, too.5. Find a better mobile.If you don’t have a smartphone already, chances are you’ll desperately need one next year. And if you already have one, think long and hard about whether you’re happy with your service, network and interface.While you might not be able to run out and buy your dream device before 2010 rolls around, visit a few retailers, read some reviews and have your eye on a good mobile to purchase next year. Mobile tech keeps on booming, and you’ll want to ensure a frustration-free year as new apps and OSes roll out.6. Update copyright notices on your website.Here’s a simple, obvious and necessary reminder. Does your website currently claim a copyright year of 2007? While it doesn’t put you on the foul side of the law, it does look a bit silly as we head into a new decade. The Next Web has a good bit of dynamic code for site owners.7. Revisit your blog.That poor, neglected old beast might be long overdue for a design facelift, a blogroll refresh or even just a few new posts. While you’re at it, why not set automatic reminders to periodically bug you about posting in the new year? On a more mission-critical note, you’ll also want to make sure you’re using the most updated version of your CMS; not doing so can can lead to problems from broken plugins to getting hacked. And while you’re at it, the year’s end might also be a good time to consider switching up your CMS service altogether.8. Back up your data.Hacks and hardware failures happen. Before 2010, make sure as much of your data as possible is protected. From calendars and contacts to blog posts and work projects, more and more of us are relying on networks of servers and startups to keep us running. So, now might be a good time to download and back up files of LinkedIn contacts and WordPress posts – anything that’s valuable to you and portable. Think of it this way: You – or at least parts of you – live in the Internet. If the Internet caught on fire, what would you grab to carry with you out of the blaze?We hope this list helps you all get a few housekeeping items squared away in time for a great New Year’s Eve filled with peace of mind and a smug sense of superiority over your fellow nerds. If you can think of any must-do year-end tasks, please let us know in the comments! jolie odell Top Reasons to Go With Managed WordPress Hosting Tags:#Digital Lifestyle#web Related Posts Why Tech Companies Need Simpler Terms of Servic… A Web Developer’s New Best Friend is the AI Wai… 8 Best WordPress Hosting Solutions on the Market
Standing 6 feet 9 inches tall, Vikas Gowda is heading to London not just to make the numbers but with a goal to end independent India’s long wait for an Olympic medal in track and field.Gowda stands the best chance among Indians athletes to finish on the podium, and the discus thrower is ready to spring a surprise once he enters the Olympic Stadium on August 6.Gowda’s form can be assessed by the fact that the US-based Indian recorded his personal best throw of 66.28m in April this year.”He is focused for the Olympics and has been training really well for the past several months. We expect him to throw anywhere between 67-68m and hopefully, that would be good enough to win a medal,” Gowda’s father Shive, who is also his coach and will accompany him for the London Olympics, told Mail Today from Washington DC on Friday.Gowda is currently training in Arizona under the watchful eye of John Godina, a three-time world champion in shot put.There will be a lot of expectations from the burly discus thrower from Mysore. However, not looking too far ahead, Gowda’s first challenge is to qualify for the finals.Despite a busy training schedule in the last one year, Gowda doesn’t miss a chance to visit home for his mother’s homecooked food and without fail, is at home in Maryland to celebrate all the major festivals with his family.The journey to the London Olympics hasn’t been a smooth one for Gowda, who has often been vocal about the lack of financial support for his training.advertisement”There have been various financial problems that we faced all these years in order to realise his dream. Despite all these problems, nothing deterred him,” says Gowda senior who took a loan of $90,000 to support his son’s dream.Gowda graduated from the University of North Carolina and until recently, used to give mathematics tuitions in order to make ends meet. The estimated expenditure on his training between January 2012 and the Olympics is $150,000 but the sports ministry provided just 20 per cent of that amount.”In India, Vikas is rated as one of the best athletes but it’s a shame that he still doesn’t have a sponsor after so many years.All these things do bother him but at this stage, he can’t afford to think much about all these things,” added Shive.Independent India has not seen an Olympic medal in athletics although Milkha Singh came close to winning a bronze at the Rome Olympics in 1960.Gowda, however, could well end that long drought. Last month, he won bronze at the Diamond League in New York and the level of competition in that event is always high.”He has made a few changes in his technique with scientific help, dieticians and power training among others things. He has the highest range and arm length amongst all the throwers in the world.”He has been working with John Godina to improve his release velocity and with all that in perfect shape, Vikas is capable of beating anyone in the world,” says his father.With the organisers making all out efforts to nail drug cheats, Gowda senior doesn’t expect the throws to be very high. Besides, the wet weather in London could make the surface slippery which could be another decisive factor.Gowda has a tough job at hand but the tall discus thrower is well aware of the level of competition at the Olympics, and the results of all his efforts will be known within next 20 days.