A four-and-a-half-hour search of the Mazaruni Prison on Monday unearthed several contraband items, including seven cellular phones, a cutlass, improvised weapons, cigarette lighters, an earpiece, a cellphone battery and a charger.Some of the items found during the prison raid at MazaruniThe raid was reportedly conducted jointly by ranks of the Guyana Police Force and the Guyana Prison Service. Only recently, 19 cellular phones; five phone chargers; one flash drive; 15 cigarette lighters; two packs of cigarettes; five pairs of scissors; seven improvised weapons, and 774 grams of cannabis were found during a raid at the Camp Street penitentiary.On Friday last, Director of Prisons (ag) Gladwin Samuels had stated that a rank of the Guyana Police Force had been caught in his attempt to throw a bag containing contraband items into the Holding Bay of the Lusignan Prison on the East Coast of Demerara (ECD).The plastic bag, when examined, was found to contain one cellular phone, one cellular phone charger, and seven packs of cigarettes. The officer was detained before subsequently being handed over to an Inspector of Police and escorted to a Police station for further investigation.Monday’s operation at the Mazaruni Prison came less than a month after a major find at the Lusignan Prison.During the Lusignan Prison raid, razor blades, 17 phone chargers, 24 lighters, a quantity of wires, eight metal spoons, two pairs of scissors, one plastic knife, two nail clips, a quantity of Ziplock bags, 6 bottles of pepper sauce, one pack of cards, three bottles of medicine, 4 bottles of oil with suspected cannabis seeds, one memory card, three mirrors and one wristwatch were discovered.The smuggling of contraband items into prisons remains a perennial problem within the system. Authorities have been working assiduously to curb the practice, and these efforts have resulted in several prison officers being caught facilitating the illegal trade, which is said to be “big business”.In fact, back in July, Samuels, had disclosed during a press conference that several prison officers had been relieved of their duties after they were found to be working in collusion with each other in order to facilitate the movement of suspected contraband into the various correctional facilities.
FORT ST. JOHN, B.C. — The Western Canada Wilderness Committee has put an entirely different spin than has the provincial government on the draft report released last week by the Canadian Assessment Agency on the Pacific Northwest LNG project.Recall Natural Gas Development Minister Rich Coleman indicated the government was not phased by the CEAA questions regarding the impact of greenhouse gas emissions.However, Wilderness Committee Climate Campaigner Peter McCartney argues it certainly should be phased, because the project would be one of the largest point sources of greenhouse gas emissions in the country.- Advertisement -Thus because of the risks it poses, the committee is calling on the federal government to reject the project, and McCartney is disappointed with the CEAA finding, that the export terminal will ‘not’ lead, to adverse Skeena salmon fishery impacts, at its proposed Prince Rupert area location.McCartney has also issued a warning about the idea recently pushed forward by Energy Minister Bill Bennett to build a billion dollar power line to send BC electricity to Alberta.The provincial Energy Minister says the federal government is keen to help build a new one billion dollar power line between BC and Alberta.Advertisement Bill Bennett says he raised the issue last week with his federal counterpart and he claims, “Ottawa is very interested from the perspective of Alberta getting off fossil fuels as much as possible.”Alberta’s NDP government is phasing out the use of its eighteen coal-fired power plants by 2030 as part of a climate change plan to replace two-thirds of the power with renewable electricity — primarily wind power — and the rest with natural gas.There’s already one electrical line connecting the two provinces, but reports suggest its capacity is limited, and by building another one, B.C. is reportedly hoping to capitalize on the Alberta power transition.Alberta’s Energy Minister says, “B.C. certainly offers renewable production potential, but this is something we in Alberta would need to study,” and he adds, “It is quite a ways down the road.”Advertisement McCartney put an entirely different spin on the proposal, and focused primarily on B.C. government motivation.That echoes the views of former NDP leader Adrian Dix, who argues BC Hydro’s domestic demand is dropping and its’ estimates for power consumption over the next 20 years — used to justify the Site C construction — are far off the mark.However, Bennett says Hydro is properly forecasting a 20 year demand which anticipates the need for Site C, and he adds, “In this case we can see an opportunity for both jurisdictions to benefit from the sale of our electrical to them.”
That created an opportunity for Griffen, who became the first USC true freshman to start an opener on the defensive line since Tim Ryan in 1986 against Illinois. He was the first true freshman to start on the defensive line since Shaun Cody did so in 2001 against Utah in the Las Vegas Bowl. Also not mentioned was the fact that Griffen did not record a tackle, while Moore had four tackles, a sack, a forced fumble, a recovered fumble and a deflected pass. Thomas redshirts Cornerback Kevin Thomas’ season is over before it started. Thomas said Monday night he will redshirt because his shoulder feels “tight” following offseason surgery and is not strong enough to play. “I’m just trying to get it better,” Thomas said. The move probably helps USC from a depth standpoint because Thomas will have two years of eligibility left and he no longer will be in the same class as cornerbacks Josh Pinkard and Cary Harris. Keep it simple There’s been plenty of fan criticism over USC’s play calling against Idaho, but offensive coordinator Steve Sarkisian said he intentionally ran a simplified offense against Idaho. But his motivation was not to confuse future opponent Nebraska. “We had a game plan where a lot of young guys needed to play and we didn’t want them to have to think a whole lot,” Sarkisian said. “(Center) Kris O’Dowd, (wide receiver) David Ausberry, (tailback) Joe McKnight, (fullback) Stanley Havili, (tailback) Stafon Johnson, just to name a few. All those guys played their first games or got their first significant playing time. “We just wanted to give the young guys a chance. We got to see guys in front of live bullets.” Sarkisian said the play calling will be more complex for Nebraska. “We’ll have a nice game plan,” he said. Injury report Pinkard participated in a light practice but said he is day-to-day because of a bone bruise in his knee. It is not the same knee which underwent reconstructive surgery last season. He does not know if he will play against Nebraska. Linebacker Brian Cushing (sprained ankle) said he is able to put pressure on his ankle and thinks he can return to practice next week. “I definitely think I can play,” he said. Wide receiver Patrick Turner (shoulder stinger) said he will be able to play against Nebraska. Tailback Marc Tyler (ankle) was cleared to practice and said he should be able to participate in full contact this week. “My footwork was rusty,” Tyler said. “But I felt real good. It better feel good.” Tyler said USC coaches have not spoken to him about redshirting. [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! By Scott Wolf STAFF WRITER USC announced Tuesday that defensive end Everson Griffen became the first true freshman in 21 years to start at the position in a season opener. What was not announced was the reason Griffen started. According to sources, junior defensive end Kyle Moore was late to a team meeting, and thus, scratched from the starting lineup.