About the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea ace Hazard: I’ve changed the approach to my careerby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea ace Eden Hazard admits he’s taken better care of his body in recent years.Hazard has been with Chelsea since 2012.”Football is my job, but I enjoyed it 20 years ago, I enjoyed it 10 years ago and I enjoy it now. In that respect I haven’t changed a lot.”I prepare for games exactly the same as I did when I was younger. But now the difference is that I am getting older and I need to take more care of my body. I work a bit in the gym with the physio. Five years ago I just enjoyed training and then I went home.”Now I take my time. Recovery sessions are important for me now. That’s the big change, but after that I’m the same guy, with the same happiness on the pitch.”
Wolves boss Nuno says they’re ready to act in marketby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveWolves boss Nuno says they’re studying the January market.However, he is eager to keep their plans close to his chest.The manager said, “I can comment on how we work. The transfer window is happening now and we anticipated it before.“We have a squad and now we have to look at it. We have to analyse what we have in front of us and who can deliver these things.“Now we have the chance with the transfer window, and anything can happen.”Nuno added: “Every time a player has a chance to go, it’s because of something like ‘he needs to play’. If we have an asset that needs to play. If we have a chance, we’ll take it.” TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say
TagsTransfersAbout the authorPaul VegasShare the loveHave your say Chelsea ACCEPT fourth bid from Bayern Munich for Callum Hudson-Odoiby Paul Vegas10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveChelsea have accepted a fourth bid from Bayern Munich for Callum Hudson-Odoi, it has been revealed.Sky Deutschland says Bayern’s offer of €40m has seen Chelsea agree terms over the 18 year-old’s sale. The decision being made just hours before Hudson-Odoi shone in defeat last night at Tottenham for the first-leg of their Carabao Cup semifinal.The sticking point now is whether the teen leaves for Bayern immediately or whether he plays out the season in England before joining the Germans in June.For their part, Chelsea would prefer Hudson-Odoi stay given his recent contribution to manager Maurizio Sarri’s team.
Earlier this week, five-star outside linebacker recruit Lyndell Wilson, who 247 Sports has ranked as the top player in the state of Alabama, announced his top seven teams on Twitter. USC was among the programs, and it looks like the Trojans are trying to take full advantage.Saturday, Lyndell tweeted out a photo of a dozen business cards he claims he was given by USC. The cards read that Wilson is the President and CEO of his own company, Lyndell Mack Wilson Inc. It’s a recruiting tactic we haven’t yet seen before.Wilson deleted the tweet shortly after posting it. We’re not sure if that means it’s potentially some sort of NCAA violation, or if he just didn’t want his address circulating the Internet. Ironically, under NCAA rules, Wilson can’t start a company and profit off of his likeness until he leaves school. Still, this is pretty cool.
A walk-on quarterback recently added to LSU’s roster is probably the most-appropriately named player in the history of the program. Meet Tiger Scheyd, a 6-foot, 179-pound redshirt freshman QB who became a member of Les Miles’ program this spring. Scheyd is surely deserving of his spot on the roster, but even if he’s not, his first name alone is reason enough to become a member of the Tigers. Momma we made it! pic.twitter.com/5qDcCtmPgy— Tiger Scheyd (@TigerScheyd) February 19, 2015Scheyd is from Miramar Beach, Fla.. He played his high school football at Fort Walton Beach. LSU opens its season Sept. 5 against McNeese State.
Manchester City might not be top of the Premier League this season, but that hasn’t stopped them from finding the back of the net with impressive frequency.In fact, with Danilo’s first-half strike during their 3-0 victory over lowly Huddersfield Town on Sunday, they’ve become the first side in Europe to hit the 100 goal threshold across all competitions this campaign.100 – Manchester City are the first team in the top five European leagues to score 100 goals in all competitions this season. Relentless. #HUDMCI — OptaJoe (@OptaJoe) January 20, 2019 Pep Guardiola’s side have been helped to that milestone by some extraordinary form in 2019 so far, with a seven-goal FA Cup rout of Rotherham and a nine-goal demolition of Burton Albion in the Carabao Cup helping them to leapfrog their continental rivals. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? In fact, counting the three scored in their previous Premier League victory over Wolves and their efforts at the John Smith’s Stadium this weekend, with Raheem Sterling and Leroy Sane both getting in on the action, they’ve now notched up 22 successful efforts in four games.To contrast, the Terriers have scored only 18 in their last 36 matches in all competitions before this encounter.Danilo has also become the 17th different player in City colours this year to find the back of the net, while Huddersfield only have eight such scorers. Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
There hasn’t been much to criticize in the Tata Martino era.Since taking over as Mexico manager, Martino has led the team to four victories in four games. Each win came over a South American team and saw El Tri score three or more goals. Even Mexico’s notoriously fickle fanbase has been placated.Yet Martino isn’t satisfied, and as he faces his first official match Saturday against Cuba, he’s looking for an even better showing than the ones his team produced in the pre-Gold Cup friendly matches. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘There is no creativity’ – Can Solskjaer get Man Utd scoring freely again? ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? So too will Mexico’s fans. While this is the first game that really means something for Martino, it’s also one in which a defeat would be far less forgivable than a friendly contest against a South American team. El Tri fans expect to get nine points from the Gold Cup group stage, especially with the first game against a team that Mexico has beaten in the last 12 meetings by a 44-6 aggregate scoreline.Cuba’s reality is far different from Mexico’s. Some of the players who could represent the country, like Norwich City attacker Onel Hernandez or veteran Minnesota United midfielder Oswaldo Alonso, aren’t allowed to because of political situations. More are likely to separate from the team while in the United States for this Gold Cup. It’s a Cuba team far from being able to reach its true potential, which makes Martino even more hopeful his squad can put together a complete performance unlike the ones they did in the four friendly matches.”Since Mexico, we’ve been getting to know every one of the players as far as the way they were playing in the friendly matches and now it’s time to inform ourselves about Cuba, about some of the difficulties they’ve had with getting visas for some of their players,” Martino said at a Friday news conference. “The majority of the players play in Cuba and the Dominican Republic.”The most important thing is to play 90 minutes in an intense way, even and as the attacking team, trying not to give the opponent any type of chance.”Mexico has been good in the Martino era, but it hasn’t been perfect. The team is yet to keep a clean sheet, something that will be an objective against a limited Cuba attack. Maykel Reyes was injured all year but is fit ahead of the Gold Cup, while Luis Paradela scored five goals in the Guatemalan league. Each were kept scoreless in preparation matches against the Dominican Republic’s Under 23 team, and Mexico’s defense should be at a different level than the young Dominicans. That said, there’s not a lot of info out there on some of the Cuban players or what coach Raul Mederos plans to do.”It’s difficult to do an analysis beforehand of what the opponent is able to show. I’m expecting a game in which Mexico will have the majority of the ball and they wait for the counter-attack,” Martino said. El Tri should be able to shut down those counter-attacks. The eight Cuban players on this roster playing outside Cuba all play in leagues of inferior quality than Liga MX. That said, Martino and Mexico will be aware that even if the group stage has looked like a cakewalk, they’ve gotten all nine points out of the group just once since the Gold Cup expanded to four-team groups in 2005. That’s once in seven tournaments.The build-up to this one has focused more on who isn’t here for Mexico than who is. With players like Hector Herrera and Javier “Chicharito” Hernandez getting excused absences of sorts and those like Carlos Vela and Javier Aquino outright rejecting the idea of being in the national team, plus an injury to star winger Hirving Lozano, it’s been tough to focus on the players who have travelled. Yet it’s with that group, with Raul Jimenez and Rodolfo Pizarro with Carlos Salcedo and Jesus Gallardo, with Andres Guardado and Jonathan dos Santos, who Martino will look to lift the Concacaf championship with.”I’m really happy with the players who are here and who we’re going to compete with. Surely, they’ll all grow with the participation we have in the Gold Cup,” Martino said. “Every moment together, whether it’s in friendly matches, official competition, it’s a new chance to get better and to grow as a team and show our best version. So, in no situation can we think about the players who aren’t here because they’re not here for different reasons,” he continued, noting the case of Miguel Layun who had a cancerous tumor removed is very different from the players who declined call-ups.”For us, it’s a great opportunity to be together, to live with each other, to compete and to keep growing,” he said.That’s Mexico’s obligation Saturday. To beat Cuba in a convincing way, to grow from its previous showings and to put together its most complete performance yet.
Marcus Rashford believes Manchester United must “settle” under Ole Gunnar Solskjaer in order to reassert a fading sense of identity.Solskjaer is overseeing his first pre-season after signing a three-year contract in March to become United’s full-time manager.His predecessor, Jose Mourinho, is the only man since Sir Alex Ferguson to have held the post for longer than two seasons. Article continues below Editors’ Picks ‘Everyone legged it on to the pitch!’ – How Foden went from Man City superfan to future superstar Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Though a fan favourite in his playing days, there will be pressure on former striker Solskjaer to achieve early results after failing to secure Champions League qualification last term.Successfully implementing a vision before the new campaign could prove critical and star forward Rashford thinks the ingredients are right for a period of stability.”I feel like we can start to settle and I think that is what we needed most,” Rashford told United’s official website .”It has been a lot of chopping and changing, different tactics and different systems, and now I think we can settle in to what we are trying to do and really get that identity back.”. @MarcusRashford explains how Ole has increased the intensity and quality of training on #MUTOUR . Watch in full: https://t.co/PNAYEfVqK1 pic.twitter.com/gEGeyiWdQt — Manchester United (@ManUtd) July 11, 2019 United’s planning has already been hit by an admission from agent Mino Raiola that his client, Paul Pogba, wants out of Old Trafford .Rashford, 21, is at least certain to stay after signing a new four-year contract earlier this month.And the England international has observed positives ahead of Saturday’s friendly against Perth Glory, despite the uncertainty surrounding World Cup winner Pogba.”The thing that has gone up for me is the intensity and just the level of training,” he said.”I think we are starting to understand it all a bit better. We can use this. This is Ole’s first pre-season and he can really stamp down what he wants to do.”We have got to use the remainder of the time here and then in Singapore and China to keep progressing and improving.”He continued: “I just think that little things like pictures in our heads are a lot clearer already.“Some of the other lads have been here in pre-season longer than I have, but in the short time I have been here things are becoming clearer to me on what the manager wants and how we are to do it on the pitch, so that will put us in good stead for the rest of the season.” Check out Goal’s Premier League 2019-20 fantasy football podcast for game tips, debate and rivalries.
Starting a team from scratch can seem a daunting proposition, but new A-League club Western United look to have compiled a quality squad for their debut season – and one than compares with the Western Sydney Wanderers side that won the Premiership at first attempt. While there is certainly no guarantee Western United will be as successful as the Wanderers in season one – the red and black had master coach Tony Popovic at the helm – the club has so far recruited a list that looks capable of making the finals. Italian international Alessandro Diamanti was announced as a signing on Thursday and he will provide a creative edge to Western United’s attacking midfield area, which also features Greek marquee Panagiotis Kone. Article continues below Editors’ Picks Emery out of jail – for now – as brilliant Pepe papers over Arsenal’s cracks What is Manchester United’s ownership situation and how would Kevin Glazer’s sale of shares affect the club? Ox-rated! Dream night in Genk for Liverpool ace after injury nightmare Messi a man for all Champions League seasons – but will this really be Barcelona’s? The club will be hoping Diamanti has the same effect on their situation to what Shinji Ono had for the Wanderers – goals, assists and a drawcard to bring the early crowds in. A striking similarity in the compilation of both inaugural squads is the emphasis on recruiting quality defenders – which was a strong focus of Popovic’s Wanderers, who only conceded 21 goals in 27 league matches. Western United coach Mark Rudan, like Popovic, showed a desire to build a strong backbone during his campaign at Wellington Phoenix and it’s no different in his new job with signings Ersan Gulum, Andrew Durante, Brendan Hamill, Aaron Calver and Jonathan Aspropotamitis all capable of playing centre-half, while Socceroos right-back Josh Risdon and the left-sided Ivan Vujica will hold down the wide defensive positions. Their shot-stopper, Filip Kurto, won the A-League’s best goalkeeper award while a Phoenix last season and will provide a safe pair of hands between the sticks, much like the experienced Ante Covic did in the red and black. In addition to Diamanti and Kone, the midfield features former Melbourne City player Connor Chapman, who will be itching to impress on home soil after a successful stint with Pohang Steelers that saw him named in the 2018 K-League under-22 team of the season. Ex-Melbourne Victory midfield starlet Sebastian Pasquali also returns Down Under following three years of development at Ajax’s youth academy, while Max Burgess showed his potential last season after being given a chance by Rudan in Wellington. Like the Wanderers’ first attack, which featured Dino Kresinger (two goals) and Mark Bridge (11 goals) as the main forwards, Western United look slightly thin up front with ex-Socceroo Scott McDonald likely to lead the line with former Adelaide United talent Apostolos Stametelopoulos as back up. There is no doubting 35-year-old McDonald’s goalscoring credentials, but it remains to be seen whether he can find the back of the net regularly in the A-League. Welcome home @ScottyMcD83 #WUFC @ALeague #AreYouWithUs pic.twitter.com/gIu3mzRQaD— Western United FC (@wufcofficial) July 22, 2019It must be noted that Western United still have two foreign spots available – with Diamanti, Kone and Kurto currently signed as visa players – and Rudan has made it clear the club is likely to target an international striker.Finally, the coach himself will be out to prove that his successful season at the Phoenix can be repeated and ensure he continues his rise among the stock of Australian managers.Rudan will likely set Western United out in the same back-three formation he used in New Zealand – especially judging by the volume of central defenders recruited.All that remains is for a few more players to come in, the squad to gel together and then execute Rudan’s plan.And if Western United achieve anything near what the Wanderers did in their first campaign, it will be a hugely positive beginning to a hopefully successful franchise.
TEMPE, AZ – OCTOBER 1: A general view of the field taken during the game between the Arizona State Sun Devils and the USC Trojans on October 1, 2005 at Sun Devil Stadium in Tempe, Arizona. USC won 38-28. (Photo by Stephen Dunn /Getty Images)The spring and early summer are the prime time for recruiting in college football. Recruits are making visits, narrowing down their lists, and in some cases, offering up verbal commitments.There is still more than eight months until National Signing Day, and a lot can change in that time. The team recruiting rankings that fans obsess over will fluctuate non-stop between now and February.At this time, Alabama has the No. 1 class in the country, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rankings. We know, you’re shocked about it. We are too.But which schools aren’t doing so hot in recruiting right now? These are the 10 worst Power 5 recruiting classes in college football right now, per 247’s composite rankings rank.Keep in mind, this list will look a lot different over the coming months:10. IndianaNumber of commits: 2 Overall ranking: 66 9. Kansas StateNumber of commits: 2 Overall ranking: 688. Kansas Number of commits: 1 Overall ranking: 747. ArizonaNumber of commits: 1 Overall ranking: 796. Washington StateNumber of commits: 1 Overall ranking: 805. SyracuseNumber of commits: 1 Overall ranking: 854. Utah Number of commits: 1 Overall ranking: 92Note: The next three schools have zero commits right now, though Arizona State and UCLA are operating under new head coaches. We listed them in alphabetical order.3. UCLA2. Pitt1. Arizona State